The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Blitzer
All-Star
Posts: 1847
Joined: May 4 06, 1:16 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Blitzer »

Just bought Assassin's Creed for PS3 on ebay for $18. Ive heard good things about that game. Whats the word?


Blitzer

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by clevername »

awesome for like 3 or 4 hours then you realize you're just doing the exact same things over and over again. The combat was frustrating while the player control moving through the city running and jumping was just about flawless.

It was potentially a great game and a lot of people still thought it was great...but a lot also got frustrated with it. I'm hoping the sequel addresses the problems.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Jocephus »

i think assassins is great. i ddin't tire of it and its a pretty cool story

User avatar
Cronos
In perpetuum
Posts: 34778
Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Cronos »

Jocephus wrote:i think assassins is great. i ddin't tire of it and its a pretty cool story
Yeah, it's one of those games that is unabashedly repetitive in its gameplay, but when the repetitive gameplay is just plain fun, I don't care if it's repetitive.

And the storyline is pretty cool.

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by clevername »

y'all were ok with the combat mechanics?

it baffled me that a game with such fluid and intuitive control in all other facets had such horrible combat mechanics and control.

User avatar
Cronos
In perpetuum
Posts: 34778
Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Cronos »

It made combat way too easy, but other than that I had little problem with it. Maybe I haven't played many action games of this caliber that have *good* combat mechanics, I dunno.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

clevername wrote:awesome for like 3 or 4 hours then you realize you're just doing the exact same things over and over again. The combat was frustrating while the player control moving through the city running and jumping was just about flawless.

It was potentially a great game and a lot of people still thought it was great...but a lot also got frustrated with it. I'm hoping the sequel addresses the problems.

This sums up my feelings. Really cool for about 3 hours then boredom sets in.

User avatar
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
Posts: 15010
Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Michael wrote:
clevername wrote:awesome for like 3 or 4 hours then you realize you're just doing the exact same things over and over again. The combat was frustrating while the player control moving through the city running and jumping was just about flawless.

It was potentially a great game and a lot of people still thought it was great...but a lot also got frustrated with it. I'm hoping the sequel addresses the problems.

This sums up my feelings. Really cool for about 3 hours then boredom sets in.

Yes, this.

My girlfriend just left for Madrid and Paris for 10 days, and the day before she left she bought me Call of Duty: World at War for the Wii. Good lord that game is fun. It's the first FPS that feels like and FPS on the Wii. The multiplayer is nearly perfect, except that there's no squad/team speak. I've only stopped playing to go to work and watch Blues games. I went to my friend's birthday party last night and made it home at about 3, fairly drunk. I woke up at 8am in my chair with the wiimote in my hand. That's just sad.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I didn't like Assassin's Creed either but I'm the only person I know that didn't love it. The game looked damn good but the fighting was so repetitive and it didn't help that I'm not really a fan of "stealth" games to begin with.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Jocephus wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:Resident Evil 5 is really good. This is the first RE game I've ever played. The controls can be a bit clunky, especially when your fighting in close quarters. And it's not a true FPS. It took awhile getting used to not being able to shoot on the run. That said, this might be the best looking game I've ever seen. The quality and level of detail is amazing, especially the cutscenes and the bosses. The pacing of the game is perfect as far as gaining new weapons and getting used to the controls, and the gameplay switches up quite often, keeping things from getting repetitive. I only rented it to play through the single player, but if the multiplayer/co-op stuff is any good this could be a great game, one that would definitely make for a good purchase.
are you on xbox live? if so we should play

yeah, im loving it...im through maybe 4-2 or so...very fun
Nah, I used to be on Live but not anymore. I'm on 6-2 right now, probably should have it beat today.

Post Reply