Page 59 of 347

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 26 09, 7:52 pm
by cardsfansince82
I rented the new wrestling game Legends of Wrestlemania or whatever it's called. I don't really like it. It's hard to do much other than the same moves repetitively. And all of the good moves are based around those cutscenes that every game has now, where a random button flashes on the screen and you have to press it really quick. I'm sort of getting tired of that feature in games.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 26 09, 7:56 pm
by clevername
that has definitely become an annoying trend. It's an easy way to make complicated battles/moves basically CG movies we have to press buttons to watch. I'd rather be in control.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 26 09, 8:28 pm
by Jocephus
they're called QTE's (quick time events)...i think they can add some value but it is a very popular thing these days...

i downloaded the demo for that legends of wrestlemania and i agree...it becomes a mash fest...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but ive read that the game is pretty repetitive so just mashing the buttons all the time does get old

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 26 09, 8:32 pm
by cardsfansince82
I used to play the hell out of WCW/NWO Revenge on N64 back in the day. Haven't really played any wrestling games since then but I thought I'd check it out.

Those quick time events are okay if used sparingly but it's just lazy and not really fun at all for the player. I'd rather be in control. Plus I suck at the "pump this one button really fast" things so it's frustrating.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 26 09, 8:41 pm
by Jocephus
cardsfansince82 wrote:I used to play the hell out of WCW/NWO Revenge on N64 back in the day. Haven't really played any wrestling games since then but I thought I'd check it out.

Those quick time events are okay if used sparingly but it's just lazy and not really fun at all for the player. I'd rather be in control. Plus I suck at the "pump this one button really fast" things so it's frustrating.
yea im the same way...the last one i really played a lot was, i believe, wrestlemania 2000 or something like that....hella fun...me and my brother had this whole clan of created wrestlers that were hillbillys....THQ ftw

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 26 09, 10:10 pm
by Bo Hart
I bought a PS3 solely for The Show, and I do not regret it whatsoever.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 26 09, 10:30 pm
by PujolJunkie
Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, NWO/WCW Revenge. All of those games were absolutely class games and are legendary. These new wrestling games are ridiculously overrated and have sucked for a long time. Every year they say "ITS MORE LIKE THQ GAMES!" and it never even comes close.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 27 09, 2:06 am
by MrCrowesGarden
I lived off of WCW/NWO Revenge and WWF Warzone back in the day.

Scott Norton was money in WCW. I would just powerbomb the opponent over and over until I won by TKO.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 27 09, 5:29 am
by BenNX74205
Jocephus wrote:they're called QTE's (quick time events)...i think they can add some value but it is a very popular thing these days...

i downloaded the demo for that legends of wrestlemania and i agree...it becomes a mash fest...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but ive read that the game is pretty repetitive so just mashing the buttons all the time does get old
They are extremely popular these days, and they can add value when they are not overused. Unfortunately, they are overused quite often these days (at least it feels like it to me). I think the root cause of their proliferation is because of the increasingly "cinematic" nature of a lot of games. QTEs become an excuse to play with the tech and make pretty movies. Just let me play my damn game please.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Posted: March 27 09, 6:26 am
by tscards
Kyle wrote:I bought a PS3 solely for The Show, and I do not regret it whatsoever.
I finally picked up the Show '09 & really love it! Just awesome! Maybe someday I'll play as another team besides the Cards...
..
..... nah!