The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30840
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by ghostrunner »

I'm about ready for this 2k9 patch:
I wanted to give you more details about Patch 2 as they have been passed to me. The patch is almost ready for submission as the final tweaks are being made. From there, it must go through the proper approvals which puts it a minimum of two weeks out. But I did want to share JUST A FEW (read NOT ALL) of the things it will address:

AI Agressiveness
Home Run Totals
Fly balls in the outfield tweaked so ghastly fielding errors will be a thing of the past
1st baseman stepping off bag has been tweaked
Issues with the pitch overlay hud
Fixed pickoffs, especially to 2nd base
Roster issues as it pertains to subsituting pitchers and bench
The pickoffs and the homers are by far the worst problems, and mostly online. Some guy hit like 9 homers off me a couple weeks ago. Then I played someone else right after that and I hit about 8 of them. It was partly his fault because he threw it down the middle almost every time, but it was still too many homers.

I really can't buy a Playstation. How are you all finding the online play for The Show?

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Jocephus »

i haven't played 2k9 for a couple weeks now (especially since i got re5) 'cause ive been waiting for this patch...hopefully those (and more) will make it more enjoyable...

tscards
Veteran Player
Posts: 1233
Joined: April 20 06, 6:28 pm
Location: Sioux Falls, SD

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by tscards »

How did 2k9 make it to release with these issues?? Seems like it was rushed and not effectively tested.

My wife bought it for me, but after everything I read about it, we returned it & got the Show -- love it!

User avatar
cpebbles
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8829
Joined: August 30 07, 12:28 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by cpebbles »

It was inevitable from the moment that consoles started shipping with hard drives that console games would begin to be released with poor playtesting and glaring bugs. They've still got a way to go before they can compete with PC games, which are sometimes nearly unplayable on release.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

Guys, The Show is really, really good. Best sports game I've played in years.

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30840
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by ghostrunner »

Michael wrote:Guys, The Show is really, really good. Best sports game I've played in years.
You send me Playstation, yes?

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

ghostrunner wrote:
Michael wrote:Guys, The Show is really, really good. Best sports game I've played in years.
You send me Playstation, yes?
Here you go.

Image

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30840
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by ghostrunner »

That wound needed some salt. Thanks.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Jocephus »

im hoping this is good

[/youtube]

User avatar
Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8770
Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Bo Hart »

tscards wrote:How did 2k9 make it to release with these issues?? Seems like it was rushed and not effectively tested.

My wife bought it for me, but after everything I read about it, we returned it & got the Show -- love it!
They switched developers and completely rebuilt the engine. It's obvious they re-used some stuff, but it's understandable that it was going to be buggy. It was really a crappy situation for them: if they didn't release a game, they'd lose out on a huge market (since it's really only "simultation" baseball game on all consoles). If they did, though... it was bound to be unstable.

I still can't get over how awesome The Show is. You actually walk people when you're the pitcher! Also: players with high discipline ratings will walk more than those without, even when you're controlling them! That's something I've wanted in a baseball game for a long, long time.

It's just unbelievable how well the game simulates actual baseball. It's basically High Heat with good graphics.

Post Reply