Interesting Lab Study

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Post Reply

Would you rather a championship followed by years of poor ball, or perennial contention?

Give me the series, it's all about winning, baby
18
32%
I'd rather look forward to games every day all summer every year, I can handle falling a little short at the end
38
68%
 
Total votes: 56

User avatar
omaha_red
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12963
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: toning it done

Post by omaha_red »

jim wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
Michael wrote:Winning the WS has clearly changed some views on here. Was it because it took the pressure off or was winning the title a let down?
i don't get it.. why in the world would winning the title EVER be a let down?
i honestly don't get it..
Just speaking for myself, but winning the title was very enjoyable - for about a week. At that point it was behind me, and another season on the horizon. I don't even think about it, it's a new season and a new set of problems. I felt pretty much the same way 10 days after winning it all as I did 10 days after the season ended in 2005, and 2004, and 2003, and 2002, ...
i politely disagree.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

longhornbaseball wrote:
jim wrote:I felt pretty much the same way 10 days after winning it all as I did 10 days after the season ended in 2005, and 2004, and 2003, and 2002, ...
As did I, but that week was probably the best one of my life so far and I have memories from it that I will cherish forever. Can't say that about those other seasons.
No doubt about that. I think my 12 year old and I will always remember jumping in each others arms on that last pitch. That was definitely special.

I guess what I'm saying is "relaxing" this year, or whatever - isn't going to work with me. Each season brings it's own joys and challenges, and whether or not we won it last year makes no difference to me this year. It's not greed, it's just how I enjoy the game. I want to be able to compete year in and year out, and would gladly sacrifice the occasional WS win for long term enjoyment.

User avatar
longhornbaseball
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5527
Joined: April 18 06, 10:37 pm

Post by longhornbaseball »

jim wrote:I guess what I'm saying is "relaxing" this year, or whatever - isn't going to work with me. Each season brings it's own joys and challenges, and whether or not we won it last year makes no difference to me this year. It's not greed, it's just how I enjoy the game. I want to be able to compete year in and year out, and would gladly sacrifice the occasional WS win for long term enjoyment.
I agree with this.

User avatar
skmsw
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6340
Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
Location: The Hub

Post by skmsw »

jim wrote:
longhornbaseball wrote:
jim wrote:I felt pretty much the same way 10 days after winning it all as I did 10 days after the season ended in 2005, and 2004, and 2003, and 2002, ...
As did I, but that week was probably the best one of my life so far and I have memories from it that I will cherish forever. Can't say that about those other seasons.
No doubt about that. I think my 12 year old and I will always remember jumping in each others arms on that last pitch. That was definitely special.

I guess what I'm saying is "relaxing" this year, or whatever - isn't going to work with me. Each season brings it's own joys and challenges, and whether or not we won it last year makes no difference to me this year. It's not greed, it's just how I enjoy the game. I want to be able to compete year in and year out, and would gladly sacrifice the occasional WS win for long term enjoyment.

Image

greenback44
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11664
Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane

Post by greenback44 »

omaha_red wrote:
jim wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
Michael wrote:Winning the WS has clearly changed some views on here. Was it because it took the pressure off or was winning the title a let down?
i don't get it.. why in the world would winning the title EVER be a let down?
i honestly don't get it..
Just speaking for myself, but winning the title was very enjoyable - for about a week. At that point it was behind me, and another season on the horizon. I don't even think about it, it's a new season and a new set of problems. I felt pretty much the same way 10 days after winning it all as I did 10 days after the season ended in 2005, and 2004, and 2003, and 2002, ...
i politely disagree.
I vehemently disagree. As the historical aspects sink in, I find the championship much more satisfying now than I did six months ago.

At some point in your life you gotta smell the roses. Looking at the world as a never-ending series of problems doesn't sound like much fun.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Post by thrill »

Count me in the sustained success group.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

greenback44 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
jim wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
Michael wrote:Winning the WS has clearly changed some views on here. Was it because it took the pressure off or was winning the title a let down?
i don't get it.. why in the world would winning the title EVER be a let down?
i honestly don't get it..
Just speaking for myself, but winning the title was very enjoyable - for about a week. At that point it was behind me, and another season on the horizon. I don't even think about it, it's a new season and a new set of problems. I felt pretty much the same way 10 days after winning it all as I did 10 days after the season ended in 2005, and 2004, and 2003, and 2002, ...
i politely disagree.
I vehemently disagree. As the historical aspects sink in, I find the championship much more satisfying now than I did six months ago.

At some point in your life you gotta smell the roses. Looking at the world as a never-ending series of problems doesn't sound like much fun.
How do you disagree with how a person feels?

I did smell the roses. Nobody will be able to take that moment my son and I had, and I still remember floating around a store buying everything on the shelf the next day. I remember my drunk friend calling me from St. Louis. I collect commerative stuff. So I guess I shouldn't say I never think about it, it's just kind of back in my mind. But I don't think of this season in context of last seasons, it's an entirely new thing to experience - and that's what I am talking about.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11664
Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane

Post by greenback44 »

jim wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
jim wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
Michael wrote:Winning the WS has clearly changed some views on here. Was it because it took the pressure off or was winning the title a let down?
i don't get it.. why in the world would winning the title EVER be a let down?
i honestly don't get it..
Just speaking for myself, but winning the title was very enjoyable - for about a week. At that point it was behind me, and another season on the horizon. I don't even think about it, it's a new season and a new set of problems. I felt pretty much the same way 10 days after winning it all as I did 10 days after the season ended in 2005, and 2004, and 2003, and 2002, ...
i politely disagree.
I vehemently disagree. As the historical aspects sink in, I find the championship much more satisfying now than I did six months ago.

At some point in your life you gotta smell the roses. Looking at the world as a never-ending series of problems doesn't sound like much fun.
How do you disagree with how a person feels?
I think what you're feeling is perverse.
I did smell the roses. Nobody will be able to take that moment my son and I had, and I still remember floating around a store buying everything on the shelf the next day. I remember my drunk friend calling me from St. Louis. I collect commerative stuff. So I guess I shouldn't say I never think about it, it's just kind of back in my mind. But I don't think of this season in context of last seasons, it's an entirely new thing to experience - and that's what I am talking about.
Perhaps I'm going after a misrepresentation or caricature of what you're feeling, because this paragraph isn't nearly as foreign to me as feeling the same way in November 2006 as in November 2003.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

I think we are sinkning into an internet bulletin board black hole where it's impossible to express complex feelings with a few keystrokes.
Last edited by jim on April 26 07, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Man, I just love watching baseball...

Post Reply