Page 7 of 9

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 5 15, 4:28 pm
by ghostrunner
"On the Pequod, we don't cry for whales" by Captain Ahab.

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 6 15, 11:15 am
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
The situation kind of reminds me of this.



Yeah, it's tough to get behind a lion killer, but it's almost equally tough to understand the outrage.

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 6 15, 1:27 pm
by tlombard
They really thought that the whaling industry had given up? What morons.

My lord those Sea Shepherd people are obnoxious. While I have no desire to kill whales or think people should, those people make me just as angry.

How about you spend some of that freaking money trying to feed some starving children or housing homeless.

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 6 15, 2:35 pm
by Popeye_Card
tlombard wrote:They really thought that the whaling industry had given up? What morons.

My lord those Sea Shepherd people are obnoxious. While I have no desire to kill whales or think people should, those people make me just as angry.

How about you spend some of that freaking money trying to feed some starving children or housing homeless.
While I am generally pro-human, I guess there is the argument that there's like 6 billion of us on the planet, vs. only a few thousand of some species. If we were evaluating us as an animal population, we'd realize that humans are an apex predator whose population needs to be thinned out for a healthy ecosystem.

I realize that entire statement makes me sound heartless.

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 6 15, 3:01 pm
by tlombard
I definitely agree with you. All the medical advances humans have accomplished are great but at the same time, they are allowing us to over populate and basically destroy the planet. And of course there is the other downside of keeping just plain stupid people alive so they can procreate and cause more problems. If you impale your junk trying to jump a jet ski from a lake to a pool, doctors should not fix you up so you can have more children.

Those people just annoy me with their self righteous holier than thou attitude and I can't help myself from saying stuff like that.

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 7 15, 3:46 am
by The Third Man
tlombard wrote:They really thought that the whaling industry had given up? What morons.

My lord those Sea Shepherd people are obnoxious. While I have no desire to kill whales or think people should, those people make me just as angry.

How about you spend some of that freaking money trying to feed some starving children or housing homeless.
I like to call this the "there are kids starving in Africa" fallacy.

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 7 15, 7:12 am
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
The Third Man wrote:
tlombard wrote:They really thought that the whaling industry had given up? What morons.

My lord those Sea Shepherd people are obnoxious. While I have no desire to kill whales or think people should, those people make me just as angry.

How about you spend some of that freaking money trying to feed some starving children or housing homeless.
I like to call this the "there are kids starving in Africa" fallacy.
? There aren't kids starving in Africa?

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 7 15, 7:39 am
by ghostrunner
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
The Third Man wrote:
tlombard wrote:They really thought that the whaling industry had given up? What morons.

My lord those Sea Shepherd people are obnoxious. While I have no desire to kill whales or think people should, those people make me just as angry.

How about you spend some of that freaking money trying to feed some starving children or housing homeless.
I like to call this the "there are kids starving in Africa" fallacy.
? There aren't kids starving in Africa?
It's a logical fallacy. Saying you can't do or worry about X because Y is still a problem.

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 7 15, 7:47 am
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
ghostrunner wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
The Third Man wrote:
tlombard wrote:They really thought that the whaling industry had given up? What morons.

My lord those Sea Shepherd people are obnoxious. While I have no desire to kill whales or think people should, those people make me just as angry.

How about you spend some of that freaking money trying to feed some starving children or housing homeless.
I like to call this the "there are kids starving in Africa" fallacy.
? There aren't kids starving in Africa?
It's a logical fallacy. Saying you can't do or worry about X because Y is still a problem.
Well, sure, but in this case you can pretty easily say the tens of millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands if not millions of man hours they spent saving a couple hundred whales would probably have been better spent feeding those children, no?

Re: Cecil

Posted: August 7 15, 8:13 am
by ghostrunner
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
The Third Man wrote:
tlombard wrote:They really thought that the whaling industry had given up? What morons.

My lord those Sea Shepherd people are obnoxious. While I have no desire to kill whales or think people should, those people make me just as angry.

How about you spend some of that freaking money trying to feed some starving children or housing homeless.
I like to call this the "there are kids starving in Africa" fallacy.
? There aren't kids starving in Africa?
It's a logical fallacy. Saying you can't do or worry about X because Y is still a problem.
Well, sure, but in this case you can pretty easily say the tens of millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands if not millions of man hours they spent saving a couple hundred whales would probably have been better spent feeding those children, no?
I don't know a thing about this group, but just for the sake of argument how many wildlife organizations would you like to shut down in order to feed all the starving children? It's also not as if money is the only barrier to feeding hungry people.

My two cents is it's possible to work on both, and there are other obstacles to address if you want to feed hungry people.