The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Tambourine Man »

Michael wrote:
Jocephus wrote:fable II does look fun, and i hear you can have like orgies and stuff

You can an achievement for having one!

I'm not kidding.
This is the first game where I've consciously gone after achievements.

Joce, if you windup trying out Fable 2 buy property early and often. I'm still working on the main campaign and own every property available to this point with millions to blow on whatever. There's a 50 point achievement involved. :wink:

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Finally got around to playing Saints Row 2. At first I thought it was a worse looking blatant ripoff of GTA IV. Then I realized that it was actually a lot more fun to play than GTA.

SR2 is one of my favorite games this gen. GTA4 isn't.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Jocephus »

speaking of gtaiv, im finally downloading "the lost and the damned" today...should be a nice addition to the series

resident evil 5 DLC comes out tomorrow

the mlb2k9 title update definitely helps a lot, but that game is far from perfect ...but i am enjoying it more since the patch

l4d DLC is next!

User avatar
robbotis
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4791
Joined: April 18 06, 7:05 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by robbotis »

Jocephus wrote:
the mlb2k9 title update definitely helps a lot, but that game is far from perfect ...but i am enjoying it more since the patch
What's the new update do for 2k9 that improved teh gameplay?

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Jocephus »

robbotis wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
the mlb2k9 title update definitely helps a lot, but that game is far from perfect ...but i am enjoying it more since the patch
What's the new update do for 2k9 that improved teh gameplay?
i dont have the specifics (i believe ghost has a post that lists many of them, in this thread)...but things like OF defense, infield defense, amount of homeruns hit and a few others

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

After reading mega-love for Crackdown on neogaf, I decided pick it up. It ended up being a great decision. It's a weird combination of GTA open world action, and mario style platforming. What's particularly addicting is the game allows you to level up your character, which gives him better super hero abilities. Admittedly Crackdown has it's flaws, but the game is simply a joy to play. Considering you can get it shipped for under 10 bucks, buying it is a no brainer.

User avatar
cpebbles
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8829
Joined: August 30 07, 12:28 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by cpebbles »

Tip: If you're going to be hunting down the orbs for achievement points, start off with a guide and start checking them off. I just freestyled it, and I ended up spending like 20 hours finding my last agility orb. Still lacking about 20 hidden orbs too.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

I got about 350, then stopped.

MS has strongly hinted at a sequel. I'm day one if it gets made.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I played a little bit of Godfather 2. It was a good looking game and had some fun aspects. The driving sucked and the game got pretty damn hard about 25% of the way in. The cops are impossible to escape from. I couldn't find any way to adjust the difficulty, there's only one setting. I only got about 1/3 of the way through but returned it because I didn't have the time to try to get all the way through it.

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30840
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by ghostrunner »

cardsfansince82 wrote:I played a little bit of Godfather 2. It was a good looking game and had some fun aspects. The driving sucked and the game got pretty damn hard about 25% of the way in. The cops are impossible to escape from. I couldn't find any way to adjust the difficulty, there's only one setting. I only got about 1/3 of the way through but returned it because I didn't have the time to try to get all the way through it.
I never get through games, outside maybe Splinter Cell. I like open world, multiple missions stuff, but I have maybe an hour or two every night to play. And that's if I feel like it. I never finished Fable 1 or any of the GTA games I had. I probably got closest with Vice City. I think I got stuck on the bank heist job in that one and got too ticked off to play it anymore. I remember one time I did the job, but one guy got left behind yet wasn't killed and I couldn't find him. So the mission wasn't technically complete. Man I was ticked off. I think it was my twentieth try or so.


I don't think I've mentioned it but I thought Spider Man: Web of shadows was a pretty good game. It's similar to the Spider-Man 2 and 3 games, but more focused on fighting and combos. I didn't like it as much as 2, there's fewer side missions, less incentive to roam, and the swinging isn't as fun to me, but people here seem to like combat so it might be a good buy. I imagine it's pretty cheap by now.

Post Reply