The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Tambourine Man »

I'm up in the air about the whole RPG genre. Fable 2 was great but I've tried to get into Mass Effect (great reviews) for the past couple of nights and am absolutely hating it. After reading a bit I see that it's made by the same developer that made KOTOR, which I really hated too. I'm interested in Oblivion and Fallout 3 but am apprehensive to pick either one up at this point.

User avatar
PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 10370
Joined: March 22 07, 4:54 pm
Location: north county, stl
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by PujolJunkie »

Tambourine Man wrote:I'm up in the air about the whole RPG genre. Fable 2 was great but I've tried to get into Mass Effect (great reviews) for the past couple of nights and am absolutely hating it. After reading a bit I see that it's made by the same developer that made KOTOR, which I really hated too. I'm interested in Oblivion and Fallout 3 but am apprehensive to pick either one up at this point.
Fallout 3 is so vastly different than Fable and Mass Effect. You wouldn't regret gettinf FO3

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Tambourine Man »

It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.

User avatar
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart
Posts: 8950
Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by TheoSqua »

Tambourine Man wrote:It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.
See, i didn't really like Fable 1, but loved KOTR and Mass Effect.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

Tambourine Man wrote:I'm up in the air about the whole RPG genre. Fable 2 was great but I've tried to get into Mass Effect (great reviews) for the past couple of nights and am absolutely hating it. After reading a bit I see that it's made by the same developer that made KOTOR, which I really hated too. I'm interested in Oblivion and Fallout 3 but am apprehensive to pick either one up at this point.

I loved Fable 2, but I hated ME. I'm looking to buy Fallout 3 once I find a decent sale. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime buy Crackdown to tide you over.

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30843
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by ghostrunner »

Tambourine Man wrote:It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.
I'd have been okay with it if the different planets and bunkers hadn't all been so alike. Oh, and the slow freaking elevators (which I realize is the game loading.)

Also - why did I have to find the map every time I wanted to travel? That should just be something you call up with the back button.I guess there's just way more running around than seems necessary.

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Tambourine Man »

ghostrunner wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:It's that hefty price tag that's scaring me away. I'd hate to drop $50 on a game I could potentially dislike within a few hours. Mass Effect just feels like I wander around talking to goofy aliens and then there's a boring fight.
I'd have been okay with it if the different planets and bunkers hadn't all been so alike. Oh, and the slow freaking elevators (which I realize is the game loading.)

Also - why did I have to find the map every time I wanted to travel? That should just be something you call up with the back button.I guess there's just way more running around than seems necessary.
Yeah, all that damn running around gets old. Another gripe is all the dialogue when you talk to some character, which is probably something many people like but I find annoying. Just gimme a choice and get on with it.

Michael, mos def let me know how you like Fallout 3. I'm grabbing something this weekend, but I'm not really sure what yet. I still need to check out Civilization Revolution too.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

Oh man, play Civilization Revolution. That game delivers the goods.

User avatar
PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 10370
Joined: March 22 07, 4:54 pm
Location: north county, stl
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by PujolJunkie »

Michael wrote:Oh man, play Civilization Revolution. That game delivers the goods.
I loved the PC game. I heard the console version was actually really short.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

PujolJunkie wrote:
Michael wrote:Oh man, play Civilization Revolution. That game delivers the goods.
I loved the PC game. I heard the console version was actually really short.

Its made for console oriented players. Games are faster and they rock and roll more. Some civ fan thought it was a bastardization, but I think it was a refreshing twist on an old concept.

Post Reply