Page 8 of 214

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 9:36 am
by clevername
every media report that we're going to see is most likely Boras driven hyperbole.

Ultimately, if Holliday wants to stay he'll stay and be paid handsomely. If he doesn't, he'll go elsewhere.

I'm going to try not to pay attention to many of the media reports because they won't really tell us anything real, only what Boras wants.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 9:43 am
by number9
epinephrine wrote:also somebody said that heyman went on to imply that the cardinals are his 6th choice ... behind the red sox. fail.
It isn't implied. He provides the full list here.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 9:51 am
by ghostrunner
number9 wrote:
epinephrine wrote:also somebody said that heyman went on to imply that the cardinals are his 6th choice ... behind the red sox. fail.
It isn't implied. He provides the full list here.
I'm skeptical that Heyman has any idea about the order of Holliday's preferences.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 9:56 am
by JL21
clevername wrote:every media report that we're going to see is most likely Boras driven hyperbole.

Ultimately, if Holliday wants to stay he'll stay and be paid handsomely. If he doesn't, he'll go elsewhere.

I'm going to try not to pay attention to many of the media reports because they won't really tell us anything real, only what Boras wants.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I am as well (along with what ghost just said about Heyman's intimate knowledge of what Matt Holliday is thinking).

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 10:03 am
by cards2468
at some point we'll get a false report that Matt Holliday has signed with somebody else... you can pretty much count on it

Sometimes I think Boras has media connections to get these false rumors swirling to help up the price of his client.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 10:05 am
by Faceman
I think he's gone also. Not because of Heyman though.

If he wanted to stay, he could have reupped. Since he didn't, he obviously wants to see the highest bid. Once he sees the highest bid, he will take it. And that probably won't be STL.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 10:10 am
by TheoSqua
So if he doesn't re-up, was it still a good trade? I think so. The team gets two good draft picks (i think Holliday is the highest rated FA available, or very close, and all the major markets that might sign him ((outside of the mets, please don't go to the mets)) are in the top 15 in standings) and showed they're committed to making the necessary moves to sport a competitive team.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 10:12 am
by robbotis
ghostrunner wrote:
number9 wrote:
epinephrine wrote:also somebody said that heyman went on to imply that the cardinals are his 6th choice ... behind the red sox. fail.
It isn't implied. He provides the full list here.
I'm skeptical that Heyman has any idea about anything.
Fixed.
The guy is an idiot.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 10:16 am
by JL21
TheoSqua wrote:So if he doesn't re-up, was it still a good trade? I think so. The team gets two good draft picks (i think Holliday is the highest rated FA available, or very close, and all the major markets that might sign him ((outside of the mets, please don't go to the mets)) are in the top 15 in standings) and showed they're committed to making the necessary moves to sport a competitive team.
It's highly contingent on how much he gets. If the Walrus could OPS .750 next year in LF (I don't think that's unreasonable), and develop into an .850 OPS LFer by 2011 at league minimum prices (and with a higher ceiling), and they gave that up for a 2-month lottery ticket, I'm not going to be a very happy camper. And lest anyone accuse me of revisionist history, that's pretty much been my documented stance since the deal was made.

That said, if some team throws Tex money at Holliday, I'll understand why they didn't re-sign him.

Re: Matt Holliday wants to go to NY....

Posted: October 22 09, 10:23 am
by Faceman
JL21 wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:So if he doesn't re-up, was it still a good trade? I think so. The team gets two good draft picks (i think Holliday is the highest rated FA available, or very close, and all the major markets that might sign him ((outside of the mets, please don't go to the mets)) are in the top 15 in standings) and showed they're committed to making the necessary moves to sport a competitive team.
It's highly contingent on how much he gets. If the Walrus could OPS .750 next year in LF (I don't think that's unreasonable), and develop into an .850 OPS LFer by 2011 at league minimum prices (and with a higher ceiling), and they gave that up for a 2-month lottery ticket, I'm not going to be a very happy camper. And lest anyone accuse me of revisionist history, that's pretty much been my documented stance since the deal was made.

That said, if some team throws Tex money at Holliday, I'll understand why they didn't re-sign him.
That is a lot of ifs and Holliday was pretty good. The trade was worth it, even if Wallace turns into a decent hitter, IMO. They'll get two picks for Holliday and can draft replacements for Wallace. Keep drafting the older, more polished hitters and you are back in the same place as you were the year before.