The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
obucard
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8180
Joined: April 18 06, 11:04 pm
Location: Central AR

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by obucard »


User avatar
PujolJunkie
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 10370
Joined: March 22 07, 4:54 pm
Location: north county, stl
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by PujolJunkie »

The L4D DLC is pretty awesome. I can't even explain how amazing it is to be able to play all 4 maps on VS. Survival Mode is great. Everything I expected it to be. And you know, I'm not really a hateful person but when people find ways to manipulate the game so they can get high scores (the DLC has been out less than 12 hours and there's already people who have survived an hour and a half) it really pisses me off.

User avatar
KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5520
Joined: May 31 06, 3:16 pm
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by KyCardinalFan »

Michael wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:As I read through these, are you guys mainly talking about Xbox games? I'm reading through looking for suggestions for a game for PS3, but I think many of the games being discussed in the last 5-6 pages are only available for Xbox, correct?

This is an XBOX thread that got rebranded. I own a PS3... what types of games does your hubby like?
He plays games like Fallout 3, Resistance:Fall of Man, Assasin's Creed and GTA 4. Right now I think he's been playing the heck out of Enemy Territory Quake Wars for the computer. He prefers the strategic shoot-em-up games rather than just kill everything in sight.

He's asked for Fallout 2 (I guess, I have to ask again) unless there's one after 3. I thought he asked for 3 until I saw he has that. Anyway, I was wanting to look at games he may not have considered, as well. Just like at Christmas, I got what he asked for, but I also got him (via someone who drew him) Little Big People that you had suggested. Which he enjoys both on his own and playing with the kids.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

Dell is selling new PS3's for $299 right now. Get 'em while they're hot.

BenNX74205
All-Star
Posts: 2541
Joined: April 18 06, 2:57 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by BenNX74205 »

I got some video games and video game-related hardware for my birthday. Here's what I've been up to.

Wario Land Shake It (Wii): The Wario Land series was one I never really got in to. I played Mario Land 2 for the Game Boy, where Wario first showed up, but after that I moved away from the GB in general. Wario Land Shake It is probably best described as a cross between a 2D Mario platformer and a 2D Metroidvania exploration game. The challenge comes not from getting from A to B, but from exploring every nook and cranny in each level looking for secret treasures and other goodies, and then finding the quickest path back through the level to escape with your treasure. It also comes with built-in "achievements" for every level to work on as you work through them. Some of them can be pretty tough, but it's satisfying when you get them.

Also, the graphics are excellent. It's no HD system pusher, but all of the characters, backgrounds, and animations were hand-drawn and they are vibrant and beautiful. Along with Zack and Wiki, it's one of the best-looking games on the Wii, and it feels like you are controlling a Saturday morning cartoon (in a good way).

DSi (Generally): It's an incremental upgrade over the DSlite (both of which are monumental upgrades over the original DS), but what it brings to the table are much appreciated. The "operating system" has been redesigned to mirror the "channels" setup of the Wii. The screens are a little bigger and a little brighter. But the best thing about it is the DSi Shop, which can be used to download games directly into the system's internal memory. There is not yet a "Virtual Console" available yet, but with the success of the VC on the Wii, I can't imagine it not being far behind. If you already have a DSLite and don't have an interest in downloading games, then you're not going to really miss out, but if you've been stuck with the DS original, I'd say the DSi is the way to go. If you don't have a DS yet, you probably aren't reading/posting in this thread, because the DS is probably the system with the widest, deepest, and best support of any system, handheld or otherwise, that has come out in the last 5 years. If for some fluke of a reason you don't have one, now is the time to jump in. Especially because if you get a DSi before October, you get 1000 free DSi points to use on DSiWare titles. Which is what I've done. I picked up two games for 500 each.

Dr Mario Express (DSi): It's Dr Mario. It's $5. Nuff said.

ArtStyle Aquia (DSi): The ArtStyle series of games are built around simple but addicting gameplay mechanics. Aquia is essentially a match 3 puzzle game, but the playing field is a single column three squares wide. Pieces are moved around by pushing either 2- or 4-tile shapes (2 horizontal, 2 vertical, or a 4-tile square, depending on the difficulty level) into one side of the column, which pushes tiles out the other side. The "premise" of the game (purely for time limit purposes) is that you are a SCUBA diver, and making matches keeps your guy diving deeper. But if you take too long, a "blackness" starts to obscure the playing field (running out of air I suppose), and you need to make a specific match-3 chain of special tiles to clear the field before the blackness fully obscures your view. That's when you lose. There are a ton of match-3 tile games out there currently, but this one is sufficiently different, and very addicting. If you have a DSi, I'd recommend downloading this puzzler.

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

Last night I downloaded Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 on XBL. I'm terrible at it, but the game is a lot of fun. If you're looking for something refreshingly simple and addictive, I highly recommend it.


In other news, GoW2 is getting an update:
Microsoft Game Studios and Epic Games will unleash the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection,” a value-packed compilation that combines all previous “Gears of War 2” Game Add-ons with brand new multiplayer and campaign content. Available only at retail, the new collection invades store shelves worldwide on July 28 for $19.99
Included in the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled “Road to Ruin.” In “Road to Ruin,” Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode.

•Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
•Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the Boomshot.
•Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
•War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
•Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it’ll be a one-way trip.
•Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and “processing” are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it’s better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
•Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.

In addition to the new content, the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” also contains every “Gears of War 2” Game Add-on released to date, including the classic “Flashback” Map Pack, volatile “Combustible” Map Pack and the winter-themed “Snowblind” Map Pack. Also included is an introduction to “Road to Ruin” from Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski, along with a custom Xbox LIVE theme, collectible “Gears of War 2” poster and a strategy guide.
Link

User avatar
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
Posts: 15010
Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by JackofDiamonds »

I can't post the link for it because I am at work, but I've been playing the Battlefield Heroes Beta lately. It's a PC game, and you should be able to find a free beta key out there somewhere. It's essentially a simplified and cartoonized version of Battlefield....which is a better version of Call of Duty.

User avatar
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
Posts: 10175
Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
Location: Tycho Crater, Luna

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by AdmiralKird »

JackofDiamonds wrote:I can't post the link for it because I am at work, but I've been playing the Battlefield Heroes Beta lately. It's a PC game, and you should be able to find a free beta key out there somewhere. It's essentially a simplified and cartoonized version of Battlefield....which is a better version of Call of Duty.
You just had to tell me this now didn't you.

I'm still waiting for this. I just hope it plays like the original. Unfortunately, the in-game videos they have show that the aircraft have been gimped to where psychics no longer matter at all. 1942 had the perfect mix of reality and fantasy, don't change it.
[/youtube]

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I used to be a [expletive] pro at the original Battlefield 1942. Many a college class were skipped for that. Those were the days when I had a badass desktop and a beast T1 connection. Now I just have a crappy laptop.

User avatar
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
Posts: 10175
Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
Location: Tycho Crater, Luna

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by AdmiralKird »

cardsfansince82 wrote:I used to be a [expletive] pro at the original Battlefield 1942. Many a college class were skipped for that. Those were the days when I had a badass desktop and a beast T1 connection. Now I just have a crappy laptop.
I miss those days. We were #1 in the TWL CTF Ladder for almost a year, #2 in conquest, #15 out of 536 or some in BF2 5v5 Infantry.
[SHOW]
Image

Post Reply