Re: 2013 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: June 6 13, 10:19 pm
Harold Reynolds said that Mark Appel could be as soon as July with the Astros.
A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
https://gatewayredbirds.org/forum/
I agree with a lot of this. Gonzales isn't a bad player by any stretch, but it almost felt like a needs-based draft, which of course baseball is the worst sport to do that in. Anyhow, I would imagine he'll probably be up with the team by 2015.33anda3rd wrote:Good to get a HS SS who can stick at SS in a draft that is incredibly low on any kind of SS.
I'm not crazy about Gonzales. With our farm and the kids on the MLB roster now in the rotation and pen, I think we could have taken a higher ceiling pick who's further away, not just at pitcher but at any position. I am not sold that we took the best available talent. Ciuffo was still on the board, prep catcher who's probably 5 years at least from being an MLB regular, Stanek would have been a good buy-low pick at 19 if you believe Arkansas screwed him up as much as he screwed himself up this year (I do), and Manaea was still on the board--I love the Royals going meh with their first pick to pay this kid and take a shot on him. Devin Williams, local guy with huge upside, was on the board too and I agree with phins that he would have been high on the list of guys I'd rather have seen us take.
Rob Rains @RobRains
Kaminsky thought he would go to Cards or NYY. Told reporter in NJ, "Thank God it was the Cardinals. They develop pitchers."
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/a ... 0&c_id=stl"To be honest, I was hoping the Cardinals would pick me because [they] have developed as many good pitchers as anyone in baseball," Kaminsky said. "It's just such an honor to be drafted by [the Cardinals], and I can't thank [them] enough for giving me this opportunity."
Kaminsky was named to the Rawlings' All-America Northeast team and was tabbed as the Gatorade New Jersey High School Player of the Year as a junior and senior. He has committed to UNC, though he strongly hinted at forgoing that opportunity in order to jumpstart his professional career.
"My dad always said there are only about two things that could supersede a North Carolina degree, and professional baseball is the No. 1," Kaminsky said. "We're going to sit down tomorrow and discuss some things, but I look forward to getting signed with the Cardinals."
#Cardinals pick Kaminsky on his 5-11 frame compared to towering pitchers: "I didn't know there was a certain height to get people out."
I hate to jump into the whole "dumb announcer says dumb stuff" thing, but come on. The Astros traded Jed Lowrie, who is making only $2.4 million this year and has an arb year left because they're not competing now and wanted to save some money. You don't deal a guy who can play SS and post a .390 OBP who's under control for two more years at a fairly cheap price, then debut Appel a month after he is drafted. All their promising kids--Correa, Singleton, Cosart, Springer, McCullers, Deshields Jr.--are in the minors and a year or two away. One could argue that Singleton and Springer could contribute today but they're not going anywhere. They're not going to start Appel's clock and bring the rest up this year to finish out a 100-loss season.JoeMcKim wrote:Harold Reynolds said that Mark Appel could be as soon as July with the Astros.