Page 9 of 15

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 19 16, 10:54 am
by tlombard
Swirls wrote:
tlombard wrote:I thought my phone was broken when I woke up this morning and saw a temperature of five degrees. I almost wished it was broken when I realized that was correct.
It was -21 when I got to work this morning. Wind chill was -40.

It's slowly warmed up all day. It's up to -1 now, which is the warmest it's been since Friday around lunchtime.
You win. I will never complain about the cold again. Well, at least for the rest of the day. That reminds me of my winter in Iowa. I really didn't like that.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 12:02 am
by JL21
In DC tonight, we got 1 inch of snow. The result? Over 150 accidents in the area, the news broke into regular programming to report the "terrible" road conditions, 10 mile commutes were taking two hours and more, and the mayor made a formal announcement that everyone should stay off the roads to make room for plows.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 7:14 am
by Swirls
JL21 wrote:In DC tonight, we got 1 inch of snow. The result? Over 150 accidents in the area, the news broke into regular programming to report the "terrible" road conditions, 10 mile commutes were taking two hours and more, and the mayor made a formal announcement that everyone should stay off the roads to make room for plows.
A half-inch of snow in South Carolina will shut the entire state down for a solid week.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 8:17 am
by JL21
I definitely understand it in the south. They just aren't used to seeing it.

But this... I am almost directly east of STL, neither north or south of it. Meaning they should be used to about the same volume of snow and ice. And while I do think STL's reaction to snow is silly at times, one inch would not cause complete mayhem.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 9:08 pm
by AWvsCBsteeeerike3
It just started ice-ing (sp?) Icing iceing whatever you get the idea. Thunder, ice falling from the sky, and a little bit of wind. And some rain. It's like a thunderstorm but with ice. And it's supposed to do this for, idk, 8 hours. But the temp is going from 33 to 30 over that time. This is going to be an utter [expletive] show tomorrow. And Saturday. And Sunday. 4 inches of snow on 2 inches of ice. Woot. Woot.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 9:48 pm
by cardsfansince82
JL21 wrote:In DC tonight, we got 1 inch of snow. The result? Over 150 accidents in the area, the news broke into regular programming to report the "terrible" road conditions, 10 mile commutes were taking two hours and more, and the mayor made a formal announcement that everyone should stay off the roads to make room for plows.
Are the drivers just that bad? I would assume a city as important as DC would have good road crews.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 10:43 pm
by MrCrowesGarden
The mayor of Omaha decided for the third time this winter not to have crews pre-treating roads and plows at the ready for snowstorms that were expected ahead of time.

This led to the busiest non-interstate road in the city being snowpacked with wreck after wreck. A plow didn't show up until more than two hours after a police officer called for one. He eventually chose to close the road. The mayor then threw the officer under the bus for trying to promote safety (though she issued an apology today).

But hey, people who have $200,000 houses are saving $20 this year on property taxes, so there's that.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 10:58 pm
by lukethedrifter
Is Sam Brownback the Mayor of Omaha?


Thought you had moved on to KC?

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 11:08 pm
by JL21
cardsfansince82 wrote:
JL21 wrote:In DC tonight, we got 1 inch of snow. The result? Over 150 accidents in the area, the news broke into regular programming to report the "terrible" road conditions, 10 mile commutes were taking two hours and more, and the mayor made a formal announcement that everyone should stay off the roads to make room for plows.
Are the drivers just that bad? I would assume a city as important as DC would have good road crews.
A big part of it is how terrible the drivers are, easily the worst I've ever been around. But also, the local government pretty much sucks. Very poor planning on their part.

Re: STORMWATCH 2015-16!!!!!!

Posted: January 21 16, 11:25 pm
by MrCrowesGarden
lukethedrifter wrote:Is Sam Brownback the Mayor of Omaha?


Thought you had moved on to KC?
I did, just keeping tabs with friends who still work there.