Page 10 of 15

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 8 15, 10:16 am
by thrill
Simmons' writing and persona are what they are, but ultimately I'm a fan and he is unquestionably the only guy with the pull to do what he did with 30 for 30 and Grantland, the only good original content ESPN has produced in the last however many years. Hope whatever he does next is as good.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 8 15, 10:34 am
by heyzeus
Simmons is a big pro wrestling fan, so I say he takes a heel turn and makes it his life mission to take down ESPN. I'm taking face paint, profanity, screaming tirades, the whole bit.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 8 15, 11:37 am
by MrSaigon
I'm excited to see what's next. I'm a big fan.
heyzeus wrote:Simmons is a big pro wrestling fan, so I say he takes a heel turn and makes it his life mission to take down ESPN. I'm taking face paint, profanity, screaming tirades, the whole bit.
I'd like to hear some jabs here and there, and some inside stuff--but Deadspin already is and is old.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 8 15, 5:06 pm
by MrCrowesGarden
Peace out Simmons. I won't miss you.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 8 15, 8:43 pm
by MrSaigon
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Peace out Simmons. I won't miss you.
Do you mind saying why? Blazers fans hate him because sometimes he doesn't pick the Zers to win the championship. I find his comparing every sport, athlete, and team to The Wire tiring. And he's no good as an analyst. But I enjoy his wit, his recognition of bs, and the fact that he can't sniff the bs when it's his own team because above all he's a fan. He's like my best guy to talk sports with sort of personality.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 8 15, 11:04 pm
by go birds
yea his biggest flaw is because hes a [expletive] celtics homer...good riddance. ESPN needs to quit employing these idiots.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 9 15, 7:39 am
by MrCrowesGarden
MrSaigon wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Peace out Simmons. I won't miss you.
Do you mind saying why? Blazers fans hate him because sometimes he doesn't pick the Zers to win the championship. I find his comparing every sport, athlete, and team to The Wire tiring. And he's no good as an analyst. But I enjoy his wit, his recognition of bs, and the fact that he can't sniff the bs when it's his own team because above all he's a fan. He's like my best guy to talk sports with sort of personality.

It's a slog to get through his masturbatory articles. I think he can be witty, but not nearly as much as he thinks he is. The same could be said of his knowledge in general, but at least he's smart enough to surround himself with smarter people. Some of the absurd premises he tries to shoehorn into all of material makes me give up after a while. And yeah, not big on the homerism.

I love 30 For 30. I guess Grantland is okay, but oh my God is it overrated. Lowe and McIndoe are the only writers there I consistently like. Somehow I think ESPN will be okay without him.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 9 15, 9:36 am
by slide_into_first
I like the college basketball writer on grantland, whatever his name is, but it is overrated for sure. I'd like to know how many hits per day difference there has been since they turned ESPN into huff post.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 9 15, 1:32 pm
by 33anda3rd
I'm biased, as a guy who loves statsy stuff, but I love that Simmons was able to go from loudmouth homer blogger to loudmouth homer blogger who could also appreciate stats stuff. He gave voice on Grantland to a lot of guys like Zach Lowe, Jonah Keri, Rany Jazayerli who are analytically-minded writers who are also big fans of the sports they write about, and I think it's a really high-quality product. I'm glad Simmons was able to make it. And I love the 30/30s. He's done enough to have changed my mind on him significantly the last decade or so.

I'd like to see him land at HBO, produce some content for them, maybe do something like 30/30 over there, heck even get him in on the boxing coverage, lord knows boxing panels could use an adjustment toward less-uptight.

Re: ESPN

Posted: May 10 15, 6:10 am
by Tim
I really like Bill Simmons and listen to his podcast religiously. That said, I do not care for the Celtics nor the Patriots, not the Red Sox and we seem to get one of those teams worked into every podcast.

I've never seen an episode of 90210, therefore anything he mentions from that show, goes right over my head.