Bobby Valentine: Idiot?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Bobby Valentine: Idiot?

Post by GatewaySnayke »

In an interview with the New York Times, former Rangers and Mets manager Bobby Valentine had this to say about steroid use on the Oakland A's team managed by Tony La Russa: "I always thought I was a smart guy. And then I realized I'm a dumb guy — because I was managing against the Oakland A's and I was firing our conditioning coaches because our guys weren't getting as strong as the A's. If I knew what was going on, I probably would have gotten very upset and either insisted that all my guys do it or I would have blown the whistle, I'm not sure. But I was stupid."
Yeah, Bobby, your Texas teams stunk because they weren't as big as Oakland's players. I guess Oakland players were on even ground with immortal players like Cecil Espy and Larry Parrish, but it was the juice that got 'em over the hump.

Oh, just a real good analysis.

User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38623
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Post by sighyoung »

Is this a question like "Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?"?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

sighyoung wrote:Is this a question like "Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?"?
Exactly.

User avatar
lazypenguin
Everyday Player
Posts: 405
Joined: February 28 07, 2:39 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Post by lazypenguin »

I really didn't need to read the post in order to affirm the title. I did anyways though...

Steroids are the biggest scape goat I've ever seen in sports. They are blamed for everything now a days. I'm so sick of hearing about it. Everyone still loves NFL and we all know those guys are juicing it. Just do your testing, enforce the rules, and get over it. I'm so sick of ESPN dedicated 1/4th of every show to steroid in baseball coverage (the other 3/4ths about the Yankess and the Red Sox)

Good God!

LP

User avatar
Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song
Posts: 15528
Joined: April 18 06, 5:54 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Post by Jmodene »

Maybe Valentine wasn't as dumb as he thought he was, though, since he traded to *get* Canseco. ;)

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

This from the same guy that got ejected from a game and then went into the clubhouse, got a disguise and came back into the dugout.

User avatar
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
Posts: 23718
Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by G. Keenan »

stlmark wrote:This from the same guy that got ejected from a game and then went into the clubhouse, got a disguise and came back into the dugout.
Which is classic. I'm all for that sort of thing.

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

G. Keenan wrote:
stlmark wrote:This from the same guy that got ejected from a game and then went into the clubhouse, got a disguise and came back into the dugout.
Which is classic. I'm all for that sort of thing.
Oh yea, it was funny as hell :lol: ,but he's a fool.

User avatar
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
Posts: 23718
Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by G. Keenan »

stlmark wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
stlmark wrote:This from the same guy that got ejected from a game and then went into the clubhouse, got a disguise and came back into the dugout.
Which is classic. I'm all for that sort of thing.
Oh yea, it was funny as hell :lol: ,but he's a fool.
Indeed.

Anyone know how the team he managed in Japan ended up doing?

User avatar
mcgee51taguchi99
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3641
Joined: May 25 06, 2:47 pm
Location: Crying/injoyin watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!!

Post by mcgee51taguchi99 »

Image

I'm pretty sure the team he managed in Japan won their league championship a year or two back.

Post Reply