Page 1 of 4

Soderberg out at SLU

Posted: April 17 07, 10:02 am
by TimeForGuinness

Posted: April 17 07, 1:01 pm
by JL21
Dumb.

1. He ran a clean program.

2. His players graduate.

3. His teams aren't terrible. They're at least competitive and play in the post-season, even if it is only the NIT.

4. Which high profile coach will you find to do all those things, and be willing to do it at SLU?

Dumb.

Posted: April 17 07, 2:04 pm
by robbotis
RC21 wrote:Dumb.

1. He ran a clean program.

2. His players graduate.

3. His teams aren't terrible. They're at least competitive and play in the post-season, even if it is only the NIT.

4. Which high profile coach will you find to do all those things, and be willing to do it at SLU?

Dumb.
Agreed. Good thing Bob Huggins has all ready switched his job for the year.

Posted: April 17 07, 2:20 pm
by longhornbaseball
We should offer Lowery 30 billion dollars.

Seriously, Soderberg's a good man but he blew it this year. A strong core with Lisch, Liddell, and Voyoukas but no depth behind them. It was time for a change. Hopefully we'll get someone to lure Suggs and Griffey here.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:22 pm
by Transmogrified Tiger
longhornbaseball wrote:We should offer Lowery 30 billion dollars.

Seriously, Soderberg's a good man but he blew it this year. A strong core with Lisch, Liddell, and Voyoukas but no depth behind them. It was time for a change. Hopefully we'll get someone to lure Suggs and Griffey here.
I don't think there's anybody that can get Suggs and Griffey to go to SLU.

I think the "clean program, graduates people, makes the NIT" deal is selling the program short. There are a lot of good coaches that have the potential to do more.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:37 pm
by longhornbaseball
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't think there's anybody that can get Suggs and Griffey to go to SLU.
Image

It is a Catholic school.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:54 pm
by Popeye_Card
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
I think the "clean program, graduates people, makes the NIT" deal is selling the program short. There are a lot of good coaches that have the potential to do more.
It's a smallish Catholic school playing in a rather weak conference. You might get lucky finding a great, unknown coach. But I don't think any big names are beating down the doors to get an interview.

I know people want SLU basketball to be better, but I don't know if they should *expect* it. Honestly, running a clean program that graduates players should be priority #1 for SLU, an institution that focuses more on academics than athletics as a whole. Very few schools excel at both.

--P--

Posted: April 17 07, 4:19 pm
by StL Dan
Popeye_Card wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
I think the "clean program, graduates people, makes the NIT" deal is selling the program short. There are a lot of good coaches that have the potential to do more.
It's a smallish Catholic school playing in a rather weak conference. You might get lucky finding a great, unknown coach. But I don't think any big names are beating down the doors to get an interview.

I know people want SLU basketball to be better, but I don't know if they should *expect* it. Honestly, running a clean program that graduates players should be priority #1 for SLU, an institution that focuses more on academics than athletics as a whole. Very few schools excel at both.

--P--
I agree. Going from the C-USA to the A10 was probably a step down in some regard.

Word I'm hearing from local media is saying Soderburg didn't recruit StL kids. Is that true?

If so, who will they hire that will? And, is that the magic bullet to building a top 25 program?

Heck, imo, I'd rather see SLU win another NCAA men's soccer championship than anything.

Posted: April 17 07, 8:45 pm
by TimeForGuinness
Nolan Richardson might be available. High risk, high reward. Probably could recruit better.

Posted: April 18 07, 11:16 am
by GatewaySnayke
I had heard people saying that if he didn't land Suggs or Griffey, he would be out. It's kinda hard to compete for Suggs when he is being chased by elite programs. I'm pretty sure if SLU snapped him up he would be their best player since Hughes. The kid is a monster...

Oh well, we can dream.