Page 1 of 2
I misssssssssssssss the NBA of my youth
Posted: April 20 07, 9:06 pm
by Numbers
ESPN classics is having a playoff marathon tonight and they just got done showing game 2 of the 86 playoffs between Boston and Chicago. What a game.
Además Larry Legend was the consumate player. We remember his shooting but man that guy could pass. And it was pretty wild seeing young Jordan. I remember that game and it still had me on the edge of my seat.
Posted: April 20 07, 9:07 pm
by StL Dan
Amen and amen, 711.
Posted: April 20 07, 9:28 pm
by Fat Strat
I loved watching the NBA growing up. Jordan, Bird, Ewing, Shaq, Wilkins, etc. the Knicks, Pacers, and Bulls...
It's a different league now. Not even the same game.
Posted: April 20 07, 10:01 pm
by Numbers
Maybe I'm just looking through nostalgic eyes, but it seems to me the NCAA was so much more fun then also. Of course teams were able to stay together longer. I remember the Laetner's and Ferry's but also the lesser ones.
Anybody remember Shakin' Bakin' Mark Macon at Temple, or Jeff Grayer lighting it up at Iowa State, shoot even the thought of the Shark chewin on his towel makes me smile. (of course it helps that Mizzou was in the middle of it's greatest stretch Stipo and Sundvold to Chievous to Smith to Peeler to Crudup to Melvin Booker and the Mad Bomber Paul O'linney to Sutherland and Grimm.
Posted: April 20 07, 10:10 pm
by StL Dan
07come11 wrote:Maybe I'm just looking through nostalgic eyes, but it seems to me the NCAA was so much more fun then also. Of course teams were able to stay together longer. I remember the Laetner's and Ferry's but also the lesser ones.
Anybody remember Shakin' Bakin' Mark Macon at Temple, or Jeff Grayer lighting it up at Iowa State, shoot even the thought of the Shark chewin on his towel makes me smile. (of course it helps that Mizzou was in the middle of it's greatest stretch Stipo and Sundvold to Chievous to Smith to Peeler to Crudup to Melvin Booker and the Mad Bomber Paul O'linney to Sutherland and Grimm.
Would you get mad at me if I added Grawer to that list???
Posted: April 20 07, 10:15 pm
by Fat Strat
I think that the college game has changed some, but that's why I've started following more of the mid-majors instead of the powerhouse teams. I can watch Missouri State and Oral Roberts and see the same guys for four years. In the Missouri Valley they play old school ball. Lots of great defense, good perimeter shooting and guard play.
I think that the college mid-majors are playing the purest form of basketball left.
Posted: April 20 07, 10:17 pm
by Numbers
StL Dan wrote:07come11 wrote:Maybe I'm just looking through nostalgic eyes, but it seems to me the NCAA was so much more fun then also. Of course teams were able to stay together longer. I remember the Laetner's and Ferry's but also the lesser ones.
Anybody remember Shakin' Bakin' Mark Macon at Temple, or Jeff Grayer lighting it up at Iowa State, shoot even the thought of the Shark chewin on his towel makes me smile. (of course it helps that Mizzou was in the middle of it's greatest stretch Stipo and Sundvold to Chievous to Smith to Peeler to Crudup to Melvin Booker and the Mad Bomber Paul O'linney to Sutherland and Grimm.
Would you get mad at me if I added Grawer to that list???
Yeah, and I left Rickey Frazier off also
Posted: April 20 07, 10:18 pm
by Numbers
Fat Strat wrote:I think that the college game has changed some, but that's why I've started following more of the mid-majors instead of the powerhouse teams. I can watch Missouri State and Oral Roberts and see the same guys for four years. In the Missouri Valley they play old school ball. Lots of great defense, good perimeter shooting and guard play.
I think that the college mid-majors are playing the purest form of basketball left.
without a doubt Strat. I love the MVC.
Posted: April 20 07, 10:46 pm
by JohnnyJay
Fat Strat wrote:I loved watching the NBA growing up. Jordan, Bird, Ewing, Shaq, Wilkins, etc. the Knicks, Pacers, and Bulls...
It's a different league now. Not even the same game.
QFT
Don't think I've watched an NBA game since the early, early 90's.
PS: No love for Magic?

Posted: April 21 07, 12:44 am
by dangerous
This was the NBA of my youth, playing at Kiel Auditorium-- Cliff Hagan, Sihugo Green, Bob Pettit vs Wilt. Behind Wilt was probably Clyde Lovellette.
