Page 1 of 4

Chris Duncan in Left: Making the Routine Look Like Roulette

Posted: April 25 07, 4:53 pm
by Hungary Jack
I am not being too critical, but some of Chris Duncan's early season "circus" catches that have been featured on BBTN and MLB.com were fairly routine balls that a decent outfielder handles with little incident. Duncan certainly looks more comfortable out there, but I would describe his range as "hesitant", which forces him to struggle to reach very reachable balls. He has improved, and is certainly still a work in progress, but he's not "there" yet.

Posted: April 25 07, 4:56 pm
by longhornbaseball
That catch he made last night was great.

Posted: April 25 07, 5:32 pm
by Hungary Jack
longhornbaseball wrote:That catch he made last night was great.
It was a nice catch. He took too shallow a route to the gap, which made it interesting at the end.

Posted: April 25 07, 5:41 pm
by Phyrkrakr
What about the superman snags in San Fran? Those were good catches, period, even if you're Jim Edmonds.

He does look hesitant at times, but until he drops an easy one at his feet, he's going to continue to get the benefit of the doubt, especially since he's the only regular hitting over .300 right now.

Posted: April 25 07, 5:43 pm
by jim
If he keeps hitting it's something you can easily live with. I do wonder what is up with all of the stutter steps as he's catching the ball. I mean he's right under it, his glove is up, why the happy feet?

Posted: April 25 07, 5:59 pm
by Hungary Jack
jim wrote:If he keeps hitting it's something you can easily live with. I do wonder what is up with all of the stutter steps as he's catching the ball. I mean he's right under it, his glove is up, why the happy feet?
Footwork is a huge part of it, and Duncan has improved noticably here. A lot of players have trouble running full speed while not looking directly ahead (ie looking up at a fly ball). What's really bad is the guy who runs with a glove outstretched like a diving rod while tracking a ball that is several seconds from being caught. This seems to paralyze the feet.

Duncan has learned to tuck his glove and run while tracking ball with his eyes (not his arm), which improves his speed and range. He looks much less stiff and more fluid in his approach, but he still takes indirect routes. I think he will overcome this with experience.

Posted: April 25 07, 6:05 pm
by TimeForGuinness
Hey, at least he's catching them.


/building confidence

Posted: April 25 07, 6:20 pm
by fulldeck
I think he has improved quite a bit. It shows he has put a ton of work into his defense. I respect that a lot.

Posted: April 25 07, 7:07 pm
by Transmogrified Tiger
On a more general scale, this brings up an important point about how we perceive fielding. The nature of it is so that not being good at it can make it look harder than it is. A lack of speed may require a Duncan, Dunn, or Floyd to have to lay out for a ball that an Edmonds, Hamilton, or Soriano get to with ease. Or Scott Hatteberg's lack of reach for being "only" 6 feet tall may require him to make a much tougher pick on a throw in the dirt than the much taller Lee or Pujols.

Posted: April 25 07, 7:09 pm
by greenback44
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:A lack of speed may require a Duncan, Dunn, or Floyd to have to lay out for a ball that an Edmonds, Hamilton, or Soriano get to with ease.
I know what you're saying here, but I think Duncan has above-average speed for a LF. He's probably faster than Edmonds right now.