Carlos Zambrano.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
User avatar
Ace
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3781
Joined: April 18 06, 9:36 pm
Location: St. Louis

Carlos Zambrano.

Post by Ace »

Never seen his control or stuff as bad as it was tonight against the Cardinals. I know you wouldn't think that after looking at his line but did anyone else feel this way?

DynamicDynamite
Veteran Player
Posts: 806
Joined: December 11 06, 9:23 pm

Post by DynamicDynamite »

just throw everything off the plate and the Cardinals will swing at it.. the way of the future... Do the Pdub shuffle!

but yeah something is wrong with Zambrono's head I think... got his mechanics all out of whack..

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Post by thrill »

Big Z needs to work on that 1.2/1 k/bb ratio. Yikes.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

To be honest, I would be a bit concerned with Big Z if I were a Cubs fan. He doesn't look nearly as nasty as he has in the past, velocity is down, command is bad.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a little paranoid for him, but he looks tired. Worn out. Almost like some manager took and rode him really hard for a couple of years and he just has lost something.

Seriously, he doesn't look that good.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11664
Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane

Post by greenback44 »

thrill wrote:Big Z needs to work on that 1.2/1 k/bb ratio. Yikes.
It's discouraging that the Cardinals didn't draw a walk off Zambrano yesterday. As the AP writeup put it:
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- All Carlos Zambrano needed to end a bad month was a start against St. Louis.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5010
Joined: June 15 06, 6:11 am
Location: Minneapolis

Post by Gashouse »

Z seems to typically be a slow starter. Career 4.41 ERA in April, but not with a K/BB ratio as bad as it is this year. Think maybe he's just still getting warmed up?

User avatar
Jim Hendry's Chins
Fringe Major League Player
Posts: 106
Joined: July 30 06, 9:56 pm
Location: watching the Cubs, God help me

Post by Jim Hendry's Chins »

jim wrote:To be honest, I would be a bit concerned with Big Z if I were a Cubs fan. He doesn't look nearly as nasty as he has in the past, velocity is down, command is bad.
We are. His arm angle has been out of whack this season, and I hope he's able to get it corrected. It's only a matter of time until Marquis and Lilly remember who they are, and that could spell trouble if Z doesn't turn it around.

User avatar
boyer14
All-Star
Posts: 2915
Joined: April 26 06, 8:33 pm
Location: 60' 6" from home plate

Post by boyer14 »

Please feel free to look it up...but guys over the last 15 years who pitch >200 innings in their rookie year (and are sucessful as rookies) hardly ever repeat their success. Off the top of my head, I can think of only one.

Z pitched only about 100 in his rookie year, but his next year he more than doubled his total innings. Thus, he doesn't quite pigeonhole in the class I described in the first paragraph, but such a large increase in IP is not advisable. As such, Z's second year can almost be viewed as his rookie year.

I have never seen an organization treat its pitchers as poorly as the Cubs.

User avatar
fanforever
Retired
Posts: 67125
Joined: April 17 06, 5:03 pm
Location: Northern NJ-The Twilight Zone

Post by fanforever »

I would not take a chance on a pitcher that pitched for Dusty Baker for the past 5 years

User avatar
boyer14
All-Star
Posts: 2915
Joined: April 26 06, 8:33 pm
Location: 60' 6" from home plate

Post by boyer14 »

fanforever wrote:I would not take a chance on a pitcher that pitched for Dusty Baker for the past 5 years
Your point is well-taken, but the problem has not been confined to Baker...it is organization-wide.

Post Reply