Any Interest in Brian Anderson?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Any Interest in Brian Anderson?

Post by Hungary Jack »

The White Sox sent him down to AAA today, and I don't think his long-term future here in Chicago is that rosy given the OF prospects that the Sox currently have.

I have always been intrigued by Anderson as a raw but talented guy who might develop into an Aaron Rowand-type with better range and more power. Rasmus is no sure thing and Anderson has some ML experience. The Sox may be in the market for a backup catcher if Hall needs surgery.

Thoughts?

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Michael »

I'd love to take a flier on him. PECOTA's projected 07 line - 260/.323/.439


Ozzie Guillen never has a kind word for him...

"If Brian was playing at least decent last year, we don't have any room for Erstad to come here."
--Ozzie Guillen, on Brian Anderson, who was optioned to Triple-A. (ESPN.com)

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

I'd definitely take him over Skip, and would probably take him over Taguchi. If the price were right (real, real cheap), I'd do it.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Post by JL21 »

Really, there's no reason you can't have both Anderson and Rasmus. There's nothing wrong with having two natural CF'ers in the same outfield, particularly when they're young (as compared to now, when we could run P-Dub and Taguchi out there and it's not necessarily a good thing).

User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Post by Hungary Jack »

Michael wrote:I'd love to take a flier on him. PECOTA's projected 07 line - 260/.323/.439


Ozzie Guillen never has a kind word for him...

"If Brian was playing at least decent last year, we don't have any room for Erstad to come here."
--Ozzie Guillen, on Brian Anderson, who was optioned to Triple-A. (ESPN.com)
For some reason Ozzie hates Anderson, which is why I think he might be had pretty easily. I don't understand it, but Ozzie is old school (putting it nicely) and perhaps Anderson has a thick head and a stubborn attitude. A change of scenery will probably due him a world of good.

It's too early to hit the panic button, but perhaps we could ship Bennett or Taguchi for Anderson. Taguchi would give the Sox the backup CF they need now. Or Bennett backs up AJ, and we call up Rose or Hernandez.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Post by JL21 »

Hungary Jack wrote:perhaps we could ship Bennett or Taguchi for Anderson.

Are they THAT down on him?

User avatar
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11722
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Post by mikechamp »

Do the White Sox really have a need for Bennett?

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by Michael »

It'd take at least a B grade hard throwing relief prospect to get him.

User avatar
Phyrkrakr
All-Star
Posts: 1514
Joined: January 15 07, 2:51 pm
Location: St. Louis

Post by Phyrkrakr »

You know what I'd really like to see, just for s&g? Bryan Anderson for Brian Anderson. I don't necessarily want to give up a .300 hitting catcher for a back up centerfielder, but it would have a nice symmetry to it.

User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Post by Hungary Jack »

mikechamp wrote:Do the White Sox really have a need for Bennett?
Toby Hall tore his labrum in the spring. He may be gone for the year. I think they feel pretty concerned about the backup situation, and Sandy Alomar Jr. is too old now.

Post Reply