Page 1 of 2

Most Pathetic Conference in Pro Sports?

Posted: June 12 07, 11:14 am
by AJ
Seems like all of my favorite teams are in the crappiest conference in every sport. Which would you rate as the most craptacular and why?

Posted: June 12 07, 11:32 am
by ToughGuy_BlueShirt
I think the National League Conference is terrible.

Posted: June 12 07, 11:44 am
by cabby7588
It's funny that hockey is considered the only non-lopsided sport. NBA, NFL and MLB certainly are. I voted the NFC because I think there are actually teams, well, maybe just one, the Mets, that can compete at a high level in the AL. I don't think there's any NFC teams that can compete in the AFC with the same record they would have in the NFC. If the NL and the AL were one big conference, how many teams from the NL would make the playoffs? 1? Maybe none? If the NFC and AFC combined, I think the Saints and the Bears would be the only NFC team to make the playoffs. Eh, they're both pretty damn bad.

Posted: June 12 07, 12:28 pm
by AJ
ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:I think the National League Conference is terrible.
Had to call it something, I guess I could have said "grouping of teams"

Posted: June 12 07, 12:31 pm
by Popeye_Card
cabby7588 wrote:It's funny that hockey is considered the only non-lopsided sport.
The west is fairly dominant in the NHL as well. Not as much so as the other sports, but it's better than the east.

--P--

Posted: June 12 07, 12:34 pm
by AJ
cabby7588 wrote:It's funny that hockey is considered the only non-lopsided sport. NBA, NFL and MLB certainly are. I voted the NFC because I think there are actually teams, well, maybe just one, the Mets, that can compete at a high level in the AL. I don't think there's any NFC teams that can compete in the AFC with the same record they would have in the NFC. If the NL and the AL were one big conference, how many teams from the NL would make the playoffs? 1? Maybe none? If the NFC and AFC combined, I think the Saints and the Bears would be the only NFC team to make the playoffs. Eh, they're both pretty damn bad.
Yeah, I wanted to include Hockey, but I agree that it's pretty even between the conferences.

Posted: June 12 07, 12:34 pm
by Popeye_Card
All these things are cyclical. Remember when the NFC won like 15 straight Super Bowls?

Right now though, it has to be the NBA Eastern Conference. Teams 4-5 games below .500 shouldn't be fighting for playoff berths.

--P--

Posted: June 12 07, 1:03 pm
by MrCrowesGarden
Popeye_Card wrote:
cabby7588 wrote:It's funny that hockey is considered the only non-lopsided sport.
The west is fairly dominant in the NHL as well. Not as much so as the other sports, but it's better than the east.

--P--
Agreed. Although, it's really that Southeast Conference that drags down the rest of the Eastern Conference in the NHL (what a shocker, huh?)

Atlanta was good for the first time in their short history, but they're usually awful, Tampa Bay just squeaked into the playoffs, Carolina missed them, and Florida's been awful ever since they made it to the Cup in 1996.

Posted: June 12 07, 1:52 pm
by cardsfansince82
NBA Eastern Conference and barring some major trades it won't change anytime soon.

Posted: June 13 07, 5:52 am
by Radio_Bugtussle
The NFC.

It's the Non Football Conference.