Page 1 of 1
U.S. Open
Posted: June 17 07, 4:10 pm
by lazypenguin
Is anyone else watching this? It's going to be a great finish.
Cabrera is in the lead by 2. Furyk has birdied his last 3. Furyk is 2 back and Tiger is 3 (he just missed like a 5 footer for birdie)
LP
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 17 07, 4:44 pm
by lazypenguin
Cabrera is in at +5, Furyk is on 18 1 back, Tiger has 3 left at 1 back.
LP
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 17 07, 5:42 pm
by Secret Weapon
has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 17 07, 6:36 pm
by Socnorb11
whyhellothere wrote:has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
I don't know that he's ever been in a position to do that, though.
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 17 07, 6:54 pm
by Mary1966
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19275161/
OAKMONT, Pa. - Unlikely champion. Familiar scenario.
Angel Cabrera hit all the right shots to hold off Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk by a stroke on a Sunday of survival at the U.S. Open, shooting a 1-under-par 69 at brutal Oakmont and giving Argentina its first major championship in 40 years.
And for the second straight major, Woods played in the final group and couldn’t deliver in the clutch.
Woods squandered birdie chances with his wedge and his putter, and Furyk paid for a risky choice of driver on the 306-yard 17th hole and fell out of the lead with a bogey.
That left Cabrera as the winner, and yes, he signed for the right score.
The only other Argentine to win a major was Roberto de Vicenzo in the 1967 British Open at Hoylake. He was equally famous for signing for the wrong score a year later at the Masters, keeping him out of a playoff.
“It is very difficult to describe at the moment,” an elated Cabrera said. “Probably tomorrow, when I wake up with this trophy beside me, I will realize I won the U.S. Open.”
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 17 07, 9:58 pm
by stretch
That was pretty entertaining.
Tiger and Furyk both had their chances but couldn't deliver.
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 18 07, 4:03 am
by Secret Weapon
Socnorb11 wrote:whyhellothere wrote:has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
I don't know that he's ever been in a position to do that, though.
he's had his chances...
But all anybody will remember, at least for now, is that in majors when he hasn't held the 54-hole lead, he's 0-for-29. With the third-round lead, he's 12-for-12.
Yeah, he can't explain it, either.
"I haven't gotten it done," he said. "I have put myself there and haven't gotten it done."
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 18 07, 9:06 am
by Socnorb11
whyhellothere wrote:Socnorb11 wrote:whyhellothere wrote:has Tiger ever come back on the last couple holes to win a tournament? Isn't that the one knock against him?
I don't know that he's ever been in a position to do that, though.
he's had his chances...
But all anybody will remember, at least for now, is that in majors when he hasn't held the 54-hole lead, he's 0-for-29. With the third-round lead, he's 12-for-12.
Yeah, he can't explain it, either.
"I haven't gotten it done," he said. "I have put myself there and haven't gotten it done."
How many times has he been within striking distance, though? I mean, how many player DO have a good record when they're not leading after 54 holes in a major? I'm not sure that's a knock on Tiger.
Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 18 07, 12:07 pm
by stretch
He's just trying to catch Nicklaus' record of finishing 2nd in 19 majors.
I think he has finished 2nd 4 times now. He is way behind the pace on that one.

Re: U.S. Open
Posted: June 18 07, 12:28 pm
by Jocephus
stretch wrote:He's just trying to catch Nicklaus' record of finishing 2nd in 19 majors.
I think he has finished 2nd 4 times now. He is way behind the pace on that one.

heh...
im sure he doesn't mind his other records though...(or soon to be)