Page 1 of 3

International signing question

Posted: February 5 14, 9:36 pm
by jim
I saw the Jays just signed a 16 year old pitcher out of the D.R. I thought most of the signings happened on July 2, and I'm curious as to how this happened when it did. Do teams get their pool of alloted money to spend on July 2? Did the Jays get money freed up by a trade which gave them extra money to spend this year, so they didn't have to wait until July 2?

I guess I don't understand the rule very well.

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 6 14, 3:36 am
by 33anda3rd
Your money resets on J2, and you have that money until next J2. In this case, Toronto took a guy in the rule 5, flipped him for another team's remaining money, spent that money on Hansel Rodriguez. Rodriguez was 16 on J2. Why he didn't get a deal then I don't know.

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 6 14, 9:46 am
by jim
Makes sense, thanks. I guess I'm just surprised to hear of a signing this time of the year. Maybe the guy was asking for too much back in July. I know those trainers can fill those kids heads with crazy numbers, maybe he thought he was getting 7 figures and reality set in when the Jays had some available cash?

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 6 14, 10:24 am
by lukethedrifter
How am i supposed to know if J stands for January, June, or July?

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 6 14, 10:38 am
by jim
lukethedrifter wrote:How am i supposed to know if J stands for January, June, or July?
Because I referred to July 2 three times in my original post? Sort of like if you said "Bob went to the store. Bob bought some peanut butter and jelly. He is a dick".

He = Bob.

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 6 14, 11:15 am
by lukethedrifter
you posted something?

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 6 14, 12:33 pm
by 33anda3rd
It might have been tough to catch, he only posted it once.

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 7 14, 8:11 am
by go birds
lol

Re: International signing question

Posted: February 14 14, 9:42 pm
by jim
Ha.

Re: International signing question

Posted: March 2 14, 11:31 am
by jim
Saw this in the current issue of BA - international signing spending. Cards were 26th (2.3 M), the Rangers were #1(8.42M) followed closely by the Cubs at 8.2.